If not, and you have stumbled across this journal by chance, and would like to read some How to Train Your Dragon fanfiction, here is the summary and two hyperlinks to the same story.
Canon-divergent: 20 years after Chief Stoick’s wife and son were lost in a dragon raid, the Vikings of Berk shoot down a Night Fury…and its rider, a feral youth who believes he is a dragon.
On Archive of Our Own: archiveofourown.org/works/1912…
On Fanfiction.net: www.fanfiction.net/s/10509381/…
Begin reading on deviantART: le-letha.deviantart.com/art/Ho…
Here is where you can find Nightfall-related media, namely the soundtrack, a fanart directory, and random trivia! I have posted this on deviantART for two main reasons: one, deviantART does not eat hyperlinks like some sites I could mention, and two, I can update it without having to reupload entire chapters.
Please tell me about links that break, and I'll try to fix them. Things happen. Thanks.
This is the order I like them in, and the order I listen to them in while I'm writing, but it's not the order they were suggested in. If I have moved your song of choice away from where you believe it belongs, I don't mind what order you put them in. All links are to YouTube and I have tried to connect you to videos with the lyrics included, in case you are like me and absolutely have to know the lyrics to any song you listen to.
1. Chapter One: Theme for 'Nightfall': "Skyfall" - Adele
2. Chapter Two: Castaways: "Long, Long Way from Home" - Foreigner
3. Chapter Four: Hiccup and Toothless: "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" - The Hollies
4. Chapter Five: Hiccup and Astrid: "Myth" - Beach House
5. Chapter Seven: How To Train Your Dragon Boy: "Forbidden Friendship" - John Powell
6. Chapter Eight: Something Wrong Here: "The Battle of Endor, Part One" - John Williams
7. Chapter Nine: Valka: "Memories" - Within Temptation
8. Chapter Nine: Valka's Sons: "You'll Be in My Heart" - Phil Collins
9. Chapter Ten: Stoick Grieves: "End of All Hope" - Nightwish
10. Chapter Eleven: Flight in the Storm: "SkyWorld" - Two Steps from Hell
11. Chapter Eleven: Nightmare Summons: "Enter Sandman" - Metallica
12. Chapter Twelve: Astrid in Battle: "Vox Populi" - Thirty Seconds to Mars
13. Chapter Thirteen: This is Who We Are: "I'm Still Here (Jim's Theme)" - John Rzeznik
14. Chapter Thirteen: Leaving Tonight: "Bernini's Angels" - Kerry Muzzey
15. Chapter Fourteen: Up to the Dragons' Den: "Heart of Courage" - Two Steps from Hell
17. Chapter Fifteen: Escape from the Lair: "Juggernaut" - Two Steps from Hell
18. Chapter Sixteen: The Edge of a Knife: "Run Boy Run" - Woodkid
19. Chapter Seventeen: To the Sanctuary: "Reignite" - Malukah
20. Chapter Seventeen: Coming Home: "After the Storm" - Mumford and Sons
21. Chapter Seventeen: One of the Flock/The Storytellers: "Qui de nous deux" - M/Mathieu Chedid
22. Chapter Seventeen: We Have to Go Back: "Bones" - MsMr
23. Chapter Seventeen: The Trap Breakers: "Dreams" - Van Halen
24. Chapter Seventeen: Against a Monster: "Hearts on Fire" - John Cafferty
25. Chapter Eighteen: Use What We Have: "Land of Confusion" - Genesis
26. Chapter Nineteen: Crusade: "Ride of the Valkyries" - Richard Wagner
27. Chapter Nineteen: Battle in the Volcano: "Through the Fire and Flames" - Dragonforce
28. Chapter Twenty: The Raid Goes Wrong: "We Want Glory Freedom" - Instrumental Core
29. Chapter Twenty: End of the War: "This is War" - Thirty Seconds to Mars
30. Chapter Twenty: Stoick and Cloudjumper: "Things We Lost in the Fire" - Bastille
31. Chapter Twenty: Dragonheart: "Iron Eagle (Never Say Die)" - King Kobra
32. Chapter Twenty: Victory: "Wanderlust" - Nightwish
33. Chapter Twenty-One: The Compromise: "Two Worlds" - Phil Collins
34. Chapter Twenty-One: Fly With Us: "Electric Daisy Violin" - Lindsey Stirling
35. Chapter Twenty-One: Freedom of the Skies: "Where No One Goes" - John Powell & JonsiThank you to Pyrophoricity, Malik the Night Angel, Fireball the golden Night Fury, SkySorrow, Adm. J. Kirk McGill, Queen Jellybean, Storylover Vodhr- Dux Ducis, and my brother for recommending songs to me! I can always add more to this list if you tell me about a song and where it could go - and if I agree with it.
1. "Dragon Boy" by SlateDragon at slatedragon.deviantart.com/art…
2. Feral child by Tithenannisss at boobchicken.tumblr.com/post/91… - link currently broken, image unavailable, seeking permission to repost saved image; apologies
3. Astrid covered in Terrible Terrors by drive-by anon at i.imgur.com/Q3pf1sL.png
4. Clever paws/human hands by Shrinking Riot/IOU_Superglue at turbulentwavesofasians.tumblr.…
5. "Nightfall" by Rchavakiah/australet789 at australet789.deviantart.com/ar…
6. "Before the Nightfall" by VixenSkywalker at vixenskywalker.deviantart.com/…
7. "Nightfall" by bedupolker at bedupolker.deviantart.com/art/…
8. "Feral Hiccup" by Mahogany-Fay at mahogany-fay.deviantart.com/ar…
9. "How to Train Your Hiccup" by Usagi-Zakura at usagi-zakura.deviantart.com/ar…
10. "Brotherhood" by Mahogany-Fay at mahogany-fay.deviantart.com/ar…
I've never had fanart for any of my stories before! I was so excited that I had to run and text my best friend about it. Thank you all very much indeed!
This section be updated as I take more pictures; for the moment it contains a not-in-character preview of a functional real-world replica of Hiccup's dragon-scale and leather 'skins'. In future as I take more pictures I will be sure to take my glasses off, for example.
I am amenable to stories set in the "Nightfall" universe as long as you ask first and acknowledge in your story that it is based off my "Nightfall". I'm reasonable. Talk to me. I'll probably agree. But ask. And tell me about it, please, so I can read it and put it here for others to find.
Bamboofoxfire Productions: "Learning from the Masters" at www.fanfiction.net/s/10645051/…
1. Nightfall had two working titles for a couple of hours, "The Island Book" and "How to Train Your Dragon Boy", both obviously based on the main influences. Mercifully, I changed the title after a quick trawl through my screensaver file, where an image called "At Nightfall" caught my attention. I didn't even look at it too closely once I had registered the word, but now that I have looked at it again and tracked it down, it turns out that the original artist had just called it "Nightfall".
2. In my imagination the voice of the Bewilderbeast is played by the incomparable Sir Patrick Stewart. Because who's your voice of command?
3. In chapter 10, the twins 'sneak' around the village in a very conspicuous way. There was no possible way I could incorporate the infamous "Mission: Impossible" theme music, but that is what you should be hearing as they 'sneak'. As that's an inside joke, it didn't make it into the soundtrack.
4. The lead trapper in Valka's flashback chapter is indeed Eret-father-of-Eret.
5. The emphasis on the nest of the Red Death/Queen as an active volcano was inspired by one of my favorite quotes of all time: "She, they, all his allies were wiped out when the volcano exploded. The rebels won. It's a story with a clear moral: don't be such a psycho." ~ "Or if you are, then don't build your palace on an active volcano." ...It's from the Doctor Who Eighth Doctor novel Father Time, and a fantastic moral, too.
6. Everyone's favorite Marvel Cinematic Universe trickster-villain managed to sneak into the edges of the story several time under the excuse of legitimately being a Norse god, despite my repeated threats to sic the Avengers - or possibly the scary fangirls - on him if he didn't go play with someone else who has time for his games.
7. Hiccup's war paint in chapters 17, 19, and 20, at least when applied to him, is blatantly stolen from San's in Princess Mononoke/Mononoke-hime.
8. While I'm admitting to cribbed ideas, dragons bringing Valka a beehive - with bees still in it! - was inspired by a similar scene in C.S. Lewis' The Magician's Nephew.
9. In case you were imagining soft white sand and palm trees, the shoreline/beach that Hiccup and Toothless camp out on closely resembles the shoreline of Newfoundland. Here are many pictures of that area that are not mine and were taken by someone whose blog I randomly found on the Internet.
10. Gobber's accent - at least the way I write it - does not actually belong to him. I'm a lifelong Star Trek fan. I'm writing Scotty, who Trek authors have been figuring out how to write for decades now.
11. The blue glass Astrid brings for Hiccup to play with in chapter seven is probably a larger version of my blue-crystal necklace that I've been wearing for years.
12. Hiccup's 'colors' are real existing varieties of iron ochre, which comes in red, purple, brown, and yellow; many European cave paintings are primarily iron ochre. His source of black is simply charcoal; of white, chalk.
13. Throwing the twins in the well is borrowed from Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series; plant mage Rosethorn is always threatening to hang her student Briar (and later his student Evvy) in the well if he doesn't behave, although I don't believe she ever actually gets to.
14. I slipped R.A. Heinlein's truism "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" (often rendered TANSTAAFL) into Chapter Ten.
15. The st-t-t-t-t-t sound that Hiccup uses in both Stoick's name and Astrid's is pronounced much like the distinctive sound of a rattlesnake's rattle.
16. Initially I wasn't going to write the dragon-battle between Hiccup's flock led by the Bewilderbeast vs. the Red Death/Queen - they were going to turn up on Berk in the middle of a raid and surprise everyone, including the reader, with the news - but I had so much fun writing the first confrontation between her and Hiccup and Toothless that I was confident I could come back and do it again. Also, that would have let a bunch of people down. So I'm glad I changed my mind.
17. One of my favorite scenes of the story - that Toothless knows Hiccup was born human, that he has always known, and that he doesn't care - I swear Astrid thought of first. I wrote down the thought she was having that Toothless must know, and only a few paragraphs later went back and reread that and went "oh, oh, oh, I have to do something with that..."
Thanks, Raberba girl.